Sunday, January 9, 2011

A week in Florence

Finally in Florence! The city is looking amazing in this time of the year, loads of people around (sales!) and Xmas decorations still on.  I am on a study trip with the University of Edinburgh that has organized an intensive Renaissance course in Florence.  Classes will take place in museums and archives in Florence as well as at the Monash University of Prato where symposiums and lectures have been planned for the week ahead.  You can find more information about the course here.
Classes apart, I will be taking some time to visit a couple of libraries and archives to start off my research. What I aim to do is collecting material related to the lineages of the family and gain an extensive knowledge on its genealogy and history.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Irene, I was so delighted to come across your blog this week. I'm an American writer working on an historical novel with lawyer/ambassador Guid'Antonio Vespucci as the protagonist, featuring Amerigo in his role as Guid'Antonio's nephew and secretary. I wonder if you are familiar with G. Arciniegus's wonderful book, El Embajador, Vida de Guido Antonio, Tio de Amerigo Vespucci? Curiously, it is not mentioned in Why America? but it is mentioned in earlier eds. of that work. Also, R. Lightbown's bio. of S. Botticelli has valuable info. regarding the Vespuccis.

    My author website www.alanawhite.com has information on Guid'Antonio, along with his portrait (Ghirlandaio, Sistine Chapel). Enjoy your time in Florence. Sincerely, Alana White

    ReplyDelete